Results for 2016
Heart of England in Bloom Results for Evesham.
Award Category: Town
The town is situated around a meander of the River Avon, in the Vale of Evesham and this rich floodplain is famous for its market gardening, so it was encouraging to see Evesham back in Bloom this year. The river is pivotal to the character of the town and lends inspiration to the many unique sculptures found in the wonderful parks and open spaces. These are sensitively and imaginatively planted with appropriate schemes.
Support from the Vale of Evesham Commerce and Tourism Association (VECTA), Evesham Town Council and Wychavon District Council has enabled the development and upkeep of major town facilities ready to host the annual River Festival on the 2nd Saturday of July. Great pride is taken over the Heart of England in Bloom 2016 Judges Comments scheduled ancient monument site which unusually houses two churches, St Lawrence’s and All Saints with flower borders maintained by a friends group.
Areas of Achievement:
- St Mary’s School was excellent. Good to see full support from the head teacher to enable the Children to develop a horticultural interest.
- We really enjoyed meeting the many wonderful staff and residents at Yates’ Court. The enthusiasm was brilliant and what a pleasure to meet 96 year old Harry and his garden.
- Lynn Stevens is inspirational. Her vision and action has given Evesham two green flag award winning parks.
- Excellent floral displays at many business locations including Royal Oak, Amber Cafe and AF Crooke and son Gents hairdresser
- Recycling in Parks was visible.
- Excellent sculptures appropriate for their locations that tell a story or illustrate a historical aspect.
- Museum and Heritage Centre.
- Inclusion of environmental features at Abbey Park such as the Fish Pools, herbaceous bog gardens, and use of flower turf at the back of the new kiosk.
- Eof’s wood planted by public subscription for the millennium celebration.
- Local magazine competition raised money by public subscription for the Eof Statue.
- Some of the floral planters donated by the Civic Society and the Rotary Club in the town centre.
- The Friends of Evesham Parish Church and Bell Tower maintain the flower bed there.
- Vale of Evesham Commerce and Tourism Association support the many bedding displays around the town.
The Evesham in bloom committee would like to thank all those involved in helping the town to get the Silver award, we have also received so pointers for areas of improvement and we will be taking these into account as we look at 2017 and the years to follow.